insurance compensation

Q: I was involved in a car accident a few years back and following the accident I claimed compensation from the accident. The doctor assessed me and sent a report to the judge (here in the UK) where I was awarded compensation. I remember that everything I told the doctor was not the truth and I had exaggerated the problems I suffered which in reality were more emotional than physical. At the time I didn’t really think much about it as I was quite young. I am now in the dilemma of what I should do with the money  as I’m not sure how much of it I was actually due? I have also spent some of the compensation money so was wondering what I should do in this regard?


الجواب حامدا ومصليا ومسلما ومنه الصدق والصواب

A: If one suffers injury in a car accident were one is not at fault then one has a right to be compensated by the party at fault or by his guarantor for actual injury sustained. This includes both physical and emotional injury. However, it is not permitted to exaggerate the extent of the injury and claim more than what one is rightfully due. You should first begin with repenting for the fraudulent claim that you have made. Secondly, you should return any overpayment received on account of the exaggeration to the insurer that originally paid the compensation. If this is not possible to do, then you should give the overpayment to a charitable cause with a view to absolving yourself of sin. You cannot personally benefit from the overpayment. The overpayment may be calculated by consulting a reliable injury claims agent who can advise on the likely amount of compensation for the injury you actually sustained. Then after deducting a further precautionary margin the balance may be considered as the overpayment.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *